Due to the high volume of traffic cases, the District Attorney’s Office is unable to discuss Traffic Infraction cases over the telephone.
Please use the service described below or simply come to court on your given court date (and time).
The District Attorney’s Office requires a MINIMUM of TEN (10) working days to process your request which does not count weekends and holidays as working days.
The following process is best viewed using a Google web browser.
This service is only for Traffic Infractions listed below, where the Person Charged / Defendant is to report to Traffic Court.
If a violation on your citation is not listed below you must appear in court on the day and time indicated on your citation.
• No Operator’s License (G.S. 20-7(A)
• Expired Operator’s License (G.S. 20-7(F))
• Driver’s License not in possession (G.S. 20-7(A))
• Failure to carry a Valid Driver License (G.S. 20-7(A))
• Failure to notify DMV of address change (G.S. 20-7.1)
• No Insurance (G.S. 20-313(A))
• Expired Registration Card/Expired License Plate (G.S. 20-111(2))
• Failure to Carry Registration Card (G.S. 20-57(C))
• Failure to Sign Registration Card (G.S. 20-57(C))
• Registration Card Address Change Violation (G.S. 20-67(A))
• Expired / No Inspection (G.S. 20-183.8(A)(1))
Note: “G.S.” refers to North Carolina General Statues.
If you are charged with any other offense(s) you must report to the Forsyth County Hall of Justice, 200 North Main Street, Winston-Salem, NC as indicated on the ticket / citation in the “to Appear in District Court Date and Time”.
You must have the following five (5) items and or capabilities to use this service.
1) A valid and active email address.
2) Your citation, must be clear and easily readable. Do not attempt to use this service if the citation is unreadable.
3) Taken the necessary step(s) to correct the infraction(s) / violation(s) you have been charged with and have a clear and readable copy of the supporting documents showing the infraction(s) / violation(s) have been corrected.
4) A cell/mobile phone or other device (camera / scanner) capable of producing an electronic image of your ticket / citation and proof of correction(s). File types accepted are; png, jpg, jpeg or gif. Most cell/mobile phones will produce a jpg / jpeg file. You must know how to access the images / pictures once you have taken a picture. The images must be attached to the proper infraction and must be clear and easily readable. Images must be in the upright position when uploaded. Once the upload process begins DO NOT interfere with or stop the process. Each image should not exceeded 5mb in size.
5) A copy of the updated, corrected and current license(s) or registration card(s) for each offense you were charged with.
It is strongly recommended you use a tablet, laptop or desktop computer to complete the “Request to Dismiss Traffic Infraction” form.
Attaching the wrong image, misspelled names or other typographical errors will result in the immediate denial of your request(s) and you will then be required to appear in court on your assigned date and time.
The Forsyth County Clerk’s Office or District Attorney’s Office Staff is unable to answer questions regarding the above items.
By submitting the following form you are requesting a “DISMISSAL” of one or more of the “INFRACTIONS” you have checked below.
• You must read and understand all the directions before you begin the following process.
• All request must be submitted by 4:00 P.M., Tuesday two (2) weeks before your court date. For example; if your court date is set for Tuesday, September 16, 2014 or Thursday, September 18, 2014 your request must be submitted by 4:00 P.M. Tuesday, September 2, 2014. The District Attorney’s Office requires a MINIMUM of TEN (10) working days to process your request. Do not count weekends and holidays as working days.
• If you do not receive an email indicating the status of your request at least 48 hours prior to your assigned court date, you must appear in court on the day (and time) indicated on the Ticket / Citation.
• It is your responsibility to correct the issue(s) you have been charged with and acquire the proper documentation to provide as proof the “INFRACTION(s) have been corrected.
• It is your responsibility to accurately enter all information in Sections “1” and Sections “2”. Entering improper spelling of your First or Last Name, incorrect Phone Number or Ticket/Citation Number will result in the immediate denial of your request.
• Only one image per infraction can be attached and uploaded, so be sure the correct image is submitted, is clear / readable / legible and in the upright position.
• The submission of multiple requests for the same citation will result in the immediate “DENIAL” of all request(s) for the Ticket/Citation.
• There is no guarantee your request will be granted.
• All fields in Section “1 – NAME OF PERSON CHARGED / DEFENDANT INFORMATION” must be completed.
• It is your responsibility to monitor your email address for a CONFIRMATION email from the office of Jim O’Neill, District Attorney, Forsyth County, 21st District of North Carolina, your request has been approved or denied.
• In the event of inclement weather the Clerk’s Office will notify you by U.S. Mail of your new court date and time. It is your responsibility to keep the Clerk’s Office, Criminal Records (336-779-6302) up-to-date if your address changes.
• Our staff is unable to change any information once it has been submitted. NO EXCEPTIONS. It is your responsibility to ensure ALL INFORMATION IS CORRECT/ACCURATE before submitting your request.
• All fields with a red “*” are required.
• Any submission with missing or incorrect information will be denied. NO EXCEPTIONS.
You will need to enter the following;
• All fields with a red “*” are required.
• Name of Person Charged / Defendant – First Name, Last Name, (make sure spelling is correct). Any errors will automatically deny your request(s).
• Email address – this should be the Person Charged / Defendant’s email address and must be current and active. This should be the address to which all correspondences are sent and received. Be sure you check your spam or other filter(s) program(s) for message from our team. The email address you enter is the address to which a confirmation of this email will be sent.
• Confirm Email address – re-enter your email address. By re-entering your email address you are confirming your email address is current and active.
• Phone number – enter three (3) digit area code and seven (7) digit phone number, be sure all numbers are entered correctly. Any errors will automatically deny your request(s).
• Court Date – Enter the date the Person Charged / Defendant is to appear in District Court. Usually located on the ticket / citation in an area with red lettering.
• Ticket / Citation Number – enter exactly as it is on the Ticket / Citation (including any dashes). Ticket / Citation number is after a red “C” on the top center of hand written tickets / citations and is in the upper right hand corner on computer printed tickets / citations. To create an image of your citation or documents, try to use as much available (natural) sun light as possible, you may need to tape each of the corners down, then take a picture of the document(s). Review the image to make sure it is clear and easily readable. Repeat the above for each supporting document. Know where and how to access each of the images, they will need to be uploaded (attached to your request) in Section 2.
It is recommended you print a copy of the Confirmation email when you receive it and retain it for your records.
Please take your time and enter the information in each of the areas correctly. If any information is entered incorrectly or misspelled your request will automatically be denied. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS!