Instructions for Request File Copy
Electronic copies of certain records may be obtained by using the Request File Copy Form.
Please review the following regarding the use of this electronic service:
- Foreclosure Documents are not available through this service. Please see NCFCC.us/foreclosures.
- Do not request Expungement information from this website, all requests for information must be made in person. For more information click on the following link (More Information).
- Records that have been turned over to the State Archives are not available through this electronic service. Please see NCFCC.us/Archived-Records for more information.
- Files greater than 50 pages must be handled in person at the Clerk’s Office, room 245, Civil Records.
- If you need certified copies or a criminal background record check you must mail a self-addressed prepaid envelope along with payment (certified funds) to Clerk of Court, Attn: Civil Records, P.O. Box 20099, Winston-Salem, NC 27120.
|File copy fees:|
|Certified copy||$3.00 first page and .25 each additional page|
|Criminal background record check||$25.00 certified funds or cash on site|
|Regular copy by mail (not certified)||$2.00 first page and .25 each additional page|
|Any request for copies to be mailed must include a self-addressed, prepaid envelope and be paid for in advance with certified funds.|
- Requests for cases filed prior the following dates must be made in person.
– Civil Registrations (R) January 1, 2008
– Civil Miscellaneous (M) January 1, 2007
– Civil Magistrate (CVM) March 1, 2007
– Criminal Superior (CRS) January 1, 2007
– Civil District / Civil Superior (CVD/CVS) March 1, 2007
– Criminal District January 1, 2007
- Allow up to Four (4) hours for your request to be processed unless it is an Estate file from 1998 or earlier OR an Special Proceeding file from 2015 or earlier. For those Estate and Special Proceeding files, please allow up to three (3) business days to receive a response from our office.
- Estate files from 1998 or earlier and Special Proceeding files from 2015 or earlier may not be immediately available or may be unavailable. If an immediate viewing is necessary, you will need to view the Microfilm or CD archives located in our Civil Records Division.
- If you need a file copy in a timelier manner please be sure to indicate in the additional comments section the date and time you need the information and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
- Form(s) request submitted after 3:00 pm and on weekends or holidays will be processed the following business day. Please keep in mind the first day after a weekend, holiday or the office being closed due to inclement weather response times may be longer than 4 hours.