Basic Instructions for Affidavit of Collection, Disbursement, and Distribution
BASIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR AFFIDAVIT OF COLLECTION, DISBURSEMENT AND DISTRIBUTION
If you are unable to locate the forms provided to you at the time the Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of Decedent was filed, you can obtain the forms by going to nccourts.org or ncfcc.us. Please also refer to the “Estate Procedure” handout provided at the filing of the Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of Decedent.
-Complete the Affidavit of Collection, Disbursement and Distribution (Form No. AOC-E-204).
- Part I – Summary
See below regarding the totals that will be shown in this section.
- Part II – Personal Property Received
Describe, in detail, the assets received by the Collector by Affidavit.
- Bank accounts will need to be described by institution, account number and value.
- Brokerage accounts will need to state the firm name, account number, itemize securities held, number of shares per security, values for each and any cash balances.
- Individually held stocks and bonds will need to be described by company/bond name, number of shares/units per security, account/certificate/serial number and value.
- Describe checks made payable to the decedent (or to their estate) and the value.
- Vehicles will need to be described by make, model, VIN and value.
- Life insurance, annuities and IRS’s, payable to the estate, will need to be described by company name, policy number and value.
- Part III – Disbursement (Debts or Expenses)
Describe payments made from the personal property received.
- Part IV – Balance Distributed to Heirs
State the name of the beneficiary/heir and the specific asset(s) received by them.
Note: The account MUST be in balance.
-Complete the Estate Tax Certification (Form No. AOC-E-212).
-A fee will be due when the Affidavit of Collection, Disbursement and Distribution is filed. It will be assessed as 40¢ per one hundred dollar on the personal property received, with a $15.00 minimum. Payment must be in the form of cash, certified funds, credit card or attorney trust or firm check (Note: A processing fee will be charged for the use of a credit card).
NOTE: This is only a brief outline of this Court’s requirements for filing the Affidavit of Collection, Disbursement and Distribution. It is not intended to cover any administration steps or legal requirements. It may be in your best interest to retain legal counsel.
Click here for a printable version of this information.